Saturday, April 13, 2013

DIY *GLITTER* canvas painting

So we've all seen the "paint over alphabet stickers on a canvas" DIY project that is literally all over Pinterest. And really, I think it's great--everybody can create original artwork for their living room! And I have to admit, I have made several of these projects, and always been pretty happy with the result. 
Buuuuut I kept seeing other random projects on Pinterest that involved glitter, and I got this thought.

Why not do this stickers-on-canvas idea, but instead of painting over it with paint, use modpodge and GLITTER!

Clearly, this needed to happen. So here's a handy little tutorial so you all can make an awesome GLITTER CANVAS PAINTING.

Here are the materials I used:
blank canvas, Remarks "Mumbo Jumbo" alphabet stickers, ModPodge, black acrylic paint, a paintbrush and of course... GLITTER!


 First, paint the canvas whatever color you want the lettering to be. In this case, I wanted the letters to be black, so that it would show up against my light colored glitter.


 Allow the canvas to dry completely (usually at least 2 hours, maybe more depending on how thick you paint the bottom coat). Then arrange the letter stickers on the canvas. I like to cut the letters out individually so I can move them around before I stick them on for real. As you can see, I had some white and some black letters--the white were definitely easier to see under the glitter!


I divided the canvas into 9 parts, to give it a sort of star burst feel, and also to make it easier to do the glitter in sections. Going one section at a time, coat the canvas with modpodge--the more the better! Then shake the glitter onto the glue.



Then I shook off the excess glitter into a tub. I went one color at a time so that I could rescue the excess glitter without mixing it all up. 
Make sure you remove the stickers soon after you've sprinkled the glitter, instead of waiting until the glue has completely dried!! Otherwise, the modpodge glues the stickers to the canvas, and it's much more difficult to peel the letters off. I gave it maybe a minute or two, so the glue had time to set a little, and then I removed the stickers.

And voila! Glitter canvas painting! I'm planning to find some sort of adhesive spray to spray over top of the canvas, so that the glitter doesn't end up all over my house.
Because let's be real... glitter tends to get EVERYWHERE. 


"Why, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!" 
Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There

P.S. Shameless advertising..... I am willing to make one of these for anyone, custom quote and colors.... if you will pay me.... ;) But seriously, they make great gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment