Monday, September 2, 2013

Minion Cupcakes

We had a surprise birthday party for Christy this weekend, and when Mom and I started planning, I told her that I wanted to make minion cupcakes. I did some searching on Pinterest, and pinned a few ideas, but nothing really stood out. Most looked pretty pathetic, were really complicated, or used fondant (ain't nobody got time for that). So I decided to do my own thing, and design/make them myself. Because that's more fun. And they turned out great!



So I started with the cupcakes that Mom had made and iced with bright yellow icing. Then I added a black stripe through the middle, using the flat tip on a tube of store-bought icing. No fancy stuff here.... black icing left over from Halloween worked great. :)


I knew the eyes were going to be the hardest part, to get them to look right. At some point in all of this party planning, I had the idea to use white chocolate wafers. So we put some on a cookie tray, and melted them slightly, in the oven. Then, while the wafers were still soft and mushy, we pushed a chocolate chip into the center, upside-down. We had the oven at about 250°, and only let the wafers in for a minute or two. We didn't exactly time it, but watched for when they started to look kind of melty. Also, it was definitely easier to only put a few wafers on the tray at a time, otherwise they hardened up before you could push the chocolate chips in all of them. So many eyes staring at me!


So I put the eyes over the black band of icing, some of the cupcakes with one eye, some with two. Then I used the writing tip on the icing tube to outline around the eye. And they turned out so well!


Then I realized I was running out of black icing, so I decided to do some minion-esque designs. I just used some blue icing to draw a little pocket, like the ones on the front of the minion overalls, and drew a black 'G' over top.


Really, they turned out great! And were the hit of the party. Because everyone loves cupcakes, and everyone loves minions, so there's basically nothing better than minion cupcakes. Christy was a big fan. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment